To obtain your Invitation code, please send a request to: webmaster@mhhauto.com

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 2.83 Average
dd15 manual engine fan installed and check engine light come on
10-14-2013, 08:55 PM
dd15 manual engine fan installed and check engine light come on
hello everyone...
i got dd15 engine on century truck, compare with s60 the dd15 engine temperature is way too high and i believe that one of the main reason making all the harness, sensor, and even some hardware component of the engine become false after 4-500k mile, it very makesense because over 1000 degree of engine heat day by day, nothing gonna be last, so i decide to install wiring manually engine fan switch into 12 volt solenoid like the old way with s60, i got check engine light come on right away, i dunt know if anybody out there who has same issue like me or have any advice for me on this?..
I also believe that there couple available spot on the main engine harness to do this from dddl ( there an option to overwrite the engine fan from dddl but it require we have to wiring to the right spot of main engine harness ?), i went to my ecm engine harness and yes alot of spot available for extra funtion, but i dunt know which one is the right spot for overwrite the engine fan...
Anybody who has idea please input, thanks you very much....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2013, 03:45 PM
RE: dd15 manual engine fan installed and check engine light come on
(10-14-2013 08:55 PM)asianofthecorrs Wrote:  hello everyone...
i got dd15 engine on century truck, compare with s60 the dd15 engine temperature is way too high and i believe that one of the main reason making all the harness, sensor, and even some hardware component of the engine become false after 4-500k mile, it very makesense because over 1000 degree of engine heat day by day, nothing gonna be last, so i decide to install wiring manually engine fan switch into 12 volt solenoid like the old way with s60, i got check engine light come on right away, i dunt know if anybody out there who has same issue like me or have any advice for me on this?..
I also believe that there couple available spot on the main engine harness to do this from dddl ( there an option to overwrite the engine fan from dddl but it require we have to wiring to the right spot of main engine harness ?), i went to my ecm engine harness and yes alot of spot available for extra funtion, but i dunt know which one is the right spot for overwrite the engine fan...

The reason for the check engine light is because the DD15 ecm looks for current from the fan solenoid. If it goes open(unplugged for example), it will throw a fault code. If the DD15 ecm is commanding the fan on because of engine temp, you need to check the engine temp with a thermal gun. The fan comes on around 220 I believe. The fan will also come on if the A/C pressure is high, intake temps,oil temps, and egr temps are high.

The older DDEC5 and back S60, grounded the fan solenoid to engage the fan, it did not care if the circuit was open or not. Freightliner supplied the power to the solenoid. Then the manual fan switch was an input to the S60 ecm depending on which pin the ecm was programmed for.
 Thanks given by: asianofthecorrs
10-15-2013, 08:10 PM
(10-15-2013 03:45 PM)DetroitTech1980 Wrote:  
(10-14-2013 08:55 PM)asianofthecorrs Wrote:  hello everyone...

The reason for the check engine light is because the DD15 ecm looks for current from the fan solenoid. If it goes open(unplugged for example), it will throw a fault code.
I know open circuit is the reason ecm throw fault code ( S60 ecm doesnt care about this), do you have any solution for the ecm in this case?.. that what i try to do Sad((

Imagine behind us is a 45,000 lbs load, upfront is a very high and long hill, and outside temp is above 100 degree, now plus dd15 engine temp above 200 degree in normal condition (not yet to the hill), how do we wait for the engine fan come on at 220 degree? and yes, some can wait ( WTH, if you are owner operator, i dont believe you enjoy the wait) but then all the wire, sensor, engine component life will reduce definitely isn't?.. Yes some will say turn off the a/c, some also say roll down the window and open the heater, or more than that some will say downshift and push 50-70% of gas pedal to avoid to engine push too hard etc but this only happen to us whoever owner operator only, not driver Sad... please agree
My 4 unit is a real proof: mileage range 200-450k mile, no warranty, one with 3 fuel injector false at 3 different time, another one just replaced 6 pack injector, some DPF damaged, some turbo false, all of them egr valve replaced, all of them electrical false, one of them just replaced main engine harness, one of them fuel valve control bad, all of them having problem with sensor located under the hood and much more, everything related with the engine high heat...
It just my experience...
Please keep input idea and advice
Thanks...
10-16-2013, 09:27 AM
If you want control of the fan, in which it sounds like that is what you are wanting to do.

You have to install a manual fan switch, use DDRS to program an input for manual fan override in the CPC. All it needs is an input to ground.

I do not think fan on temp can be changed with a perimeter.

On the CPC, CPC is located behind the instrument panel next to the radio. There is a grey connector, should be an 18 pin connector. Pin 13 is FAN OVERRIDE. Add a toggle switch, run one side of the toggle switch to ground, the other side should go to pin 13 of the CPC. Get on DDRS, look in there, and should be a something to change this to fan overide.

let me know if you need more help.

Now lets get to your truck with the issues. I work on these EVERYDAY. I see the failures that they come in with, and I see things that could be done to prevent some of these failures.

The tolerance in the injectors are really tight. I recommend using fuel filters with low micron specs, dirty or contaminated fuel can cause the injectors to fail prematurely. Not so much heat.
The main engine harness can get rubbed through by the plastic cover on the back of the 120 pin mcm connector. Oil leaks can get into the wiring, which softens the insulation, and the cheap plastic loom that detroit uses to cover there wiring rubs into the wires. Sharp bends in a harness or sharp kinks can cause wires to brake a rub through.

I am not sure on your fuel control valve, it could be called something else. I do not replace alot of sensors, it is typically wiring problems.

Do not run these engines low on fuel, the high pressure fuel pump is lubed by fuel, if its starved of fuel, it causes the pumps to wear prematurely. Once again, dirty or contaminated fuel will kill the fuel system on these engines.

The plastic split loom on Freightliner trucks have been known to cut into the wiring. I put a complete OEM harness on a truck for this. Truck was way out of warranty.
 Thanks given by: Аntart , asianofthecorrs , musho , Determined
10-16-2013, 03:30 PM
where do you live and what do you do? seem like you been dealing with all this shit, if you do have ur own shop or provide me location where you working at, i send my truck to you sometime, we can doing some bussiness here...
PM me...
10-10-2014, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2014 07:09 PM by musho.)
(10-16-2013 09:27 AM)DetroitTech1980 Wrote:  If you want control of the fan, in which it sounds like that is what you are wanting to do.

You have to install a manual fan switch, use DDRS to program an input for manual fan override in the CPC. All it needs is an input to ground.

I do not think fan on temp can be changed with a perimeter.

On the CPC, CPC is located behind the instrument panel next to the radio. There is a grey connector, should be an 18 pin connector. Pin 13 is FAN OVERRIDE. Add a toggle switch, run one side of the toggle switch to ground, the other side should go to pin 13 of the CPC. Get on DDRS, look in there, and should be a something to change this to fan overide.

let me know if you need more help.

Now lets get to your truck with the issues. I work on these EVERYDAY. I see the failures that they come in with, and I see things that could be done to prevent some of these failures.

The tolerance in the injectors are really tight. I recommend using fuel filters with low micron specs, dirty or contaminated fuel can cause the injectors to fail prematurely. Not so much heat.
The main engine harness can get rubbed through by the plastic cover on the back of the 120 pin mcm connector. Oil leaks can get into the wiring, which softens the insulation, and the cheap plastic loom that detroit uses to cover there wiring rubs into the wires. Sharp bends in a harness or sharp kinks can cause wires to brake a rub through.

I am not sure on your fuel control valve, it could be called something else. I do not replace alot of sensors, it is typically wiring problems.

Do not run these engines low on fuel, the high pressure fuel pump is lubed by fuel, if its starved of fuel, it causes the pumps to wear prematurely. Once again, dirty or contaminated fuel will kill the fuel system on these engines.

The plastic split loom on Freightliner trucks have been known to cut into the wiring. I put a complete OEM harness on a truck for this. Truck was way out of warranty.
I think he means fuel pressure regulator for fuel control valve.
I am thinking to put switch for fan on A/C pressure sensor's line . Not sure will it work when a/c is turned off... Fan goes on on my engine at 225F and goes of at 215F. (checked by DDDL).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Isuzu 4HK1 - 6HK1 engine repair manual boots769 1 99 Yesterday 05:48 PM
Last Post: GreeNKr
  backdoor password detroit dd15 truck_drive_80 7 336 10-30-2014 09:02 AM
Last Post: kamaleon
Mercedes Benz Detroit DD13,DD15,DD16 EGR-Aftertreatment Service Manual All Years dieseltech1 9 1,294 10-26-2014 07:04 AM
Last Post: kamaleon
  what to check my daf 105 unit pump with my davie korby09 1 134 10-23-2014 11:34 AM
Last Post: Plan B
  Help ! Deleting EGR & DPF DDEC VI , DD13 , DD15 ??? tienpt 1 719 10-15-2014 02:23 PM
Last Post: pon4
AA+john-deere-utility-mat+(1) need john deere workshop manual engine 6125h jednoj 1 187 10-12-2014 05:51 AM
Last Post: servialcaleta
  DD15 with UREA dave_rpm 7 419 10-10-2014 09:48 AM
Last Post: ashman_42
  emp cooling fan wiring dias and diagnostic program jonny rotten 0 130 10-07-2014 12:10 PM
Last Post: jonny rotten
  EPA10 DD15 Parts Catalog musho 0 104 09-30-2014 01:19 PM
Last Post: musho
  Detroit DD15 DPF EGR Delete camaro7019 1 588 09-27-2014 05:31 AM
Last Post: Navymr

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content