Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2015 S550 High Oil use plus oil in breather pipe, cause??

(05-23-2020, 07:45 PM)ytech Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 11:45 AM)Kaluluka Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 07:57 PM)tferrari Wrote: Well the car was originally flood damaged.  I think this one went deeper in the water than most, possibly above the top of the engine.

Hi! This is how deep it went (only for and as information).....

https://poctra.com/2015-MERCEDES-BENZ-S/...-TX/Photos

And: car was finaly sold, to the consumer, after one year, maybe with water in the cylinders. What do you think happened to the piston rings and cylinder walls in that year?

As a side note, I have seen perfectly maintained m278s with cylinder wall issues leading to oil consumption. Nevertheless, What do you expect when buying a flood damaged car, let alone a 222 MB? These fluid soaking remedies are only temporary. You buy these cars cheap enough, might as well fix them correctly.

By 'fix them correctly' do you mean put a new engine in every single car? Im a bit confused here.

17 of my previous flood damaged cars have been perfect after treatment, the piston soak is not a temporary fix. I keep every one of my cars for at least 12 months after repair and when I sell them I always ensure the buyer has xentry report showing all modules are working properly (more than you get with most used cars let alone those with rebuilt titles). 2 of them I shipped from USA to my other home in the UK and still own them 4 years after buying them. I do regular Europe road trips in them and they never miss a beat.

I think I do 'fix them correctly', I don't just take out the carpet and clean them. Depending on the extent of the damage, if needed I will replace everything in the vehicle. (they one that had salt samage, I replaced, engine, transmission, steering column, steering rack, differential, every single onboard computer (65 of them) and even entire the vehicle wiring harness.
Water damaged vehicles are not to be avoided like the plague, they just need attentive care given to them to bring them back to glory.

If these cylinders show damage, I will replace the engine, if they don't, then of course I will not.  I'm here asking for advice and to share my experience with others in the hope that my solutions will help them should they experience similar propblems.
Thanks given by:
(05-23-2020, 08:03 PM)tferrari Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 07:45 PM)ytech Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 11:45 AM)Kaluluka Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 07:57 PM)tferrari Wrote: Well the car was originally flood damaged.  I think this one went deeper in the water than most, possibly above the top of the engine.

Hi! This is how deep it went (only for and as information).....

https://poctra.com/2015-MERCEDES-BENZ-S/...-TX/Photos

And: car was finaly sold, to the consumer, after one year, maybe with water in the cylinders. What do you think happened to the piston rings and cylinder walls in that year?

As a side note, I have seen perfectly maintained m278s with cylinder wall issues leading to oil consumption. Nevertheless, What do you expect when buying a flood damaged car, let alone a 222 MB? These fluid soaking remedies are only temporary. You buy these cars cheap enough, might as well fix them correctly.

By 'fix them correctly' do you mean put a new engine in every single car? Im a bit confused here.

17 of my previous flood damaged cars have been perfect after treatment, the piston soak is not a temporary fix. I keep every one of my cars for at least 12 months after repair and when I sell them I always ensure the buyer has xentry report showing all modules are working properly (more than you get with most used cars let alone those with rebuilt titles). 2 of them I shipped from USA to my other home in the UK and still own them 4 years after buying them. I do regular Europe road trips in them and they never miss a beat.

I think I do 'fix them correctly', I don't just take out the carpet and clean them. Depending on the extent of the damage, if needed I will replace everything in the vehicle. (they one that had salt samage, I replaced, engine, transmission, steering column, steering rack, differential, every single onboard computer (65 of them) and even entire the vehicle wiring harness.
Water damaged vehicles are not to be avoided like the plague, they just need attentive care given to them to bring them back to glory.

If these cylinders show damage, I will replace the engine, if they don't, then of course I will not.  I'm here asking for advice and to share my experience with others in the hope that my solutions will help them should they experience similar propblems.

Nothing to be confused about, just as you do with all the other components (remove, inspect, correct what is necessary) doing the same with the drive train is worth the labor and cost of replaceable hardware (in my opinion). I can tell you put great effort into the rebuild and I did not mean to criticize you, Instead I suggested that it is more than likely there damage to the internals (aside from the flood, could be wear) that will need to be addressed by disassembly of the engine (may not be able to nail down the failure externally) . I don't believe in the use of fluids nor the replacement of a single con rod or piston (especially after it has broke due to hydrolocking) Do you think the crank did not took a hit when that happend? There is not a chance the balance of the rotating assembly will be close to when the car was at it's "glory".
I hope you find and fix the issue with this one. Best of luck!
Thanks given by:
Car like this (with that extend of damage) I scrap and sell for parts, if I got them cheap and can make some money, but in you case (I saw price you paid, I would newer pay that amount on such car) i think scrapping it would go for loosing money and not making it.....
Thanks given by:
(05-23-2020, 10:26 PM)Kaluluka Wrote: Car like this (with that extend of damage) I scrap and sell for parts, if I got them cheap and can make some money, but in you case (I saw price you paid, I would newer pay that amount on such car) i think scrapping it would go for loosing money and not making it.....
Kaluluka. I did not buy it from the pictures you saw. I would not have knowingly bought a car that had gone that deep.

How much does it show as being paid for it?

I think the original buyer got it, took it home and then realized it was too big a project and put it back in auction to cut his losses.

OK here are the cylinder pictures, better scope. My new one has side camera which I have used to check all cylinders thoroughly but the bottom camera is best for pictures such as these.

The cylinders look OK to me but would welcome any expert opinions.

Thanks given by:
(05-25-2020, 04:10 AM)tferrari Wrote: How much does it show as being paid for it?

17600 + FEES
Thanks given by:
(05-25-2020, 06:43 AM)Kaluluka Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 04:10 AM)tferrari Wrote: How much does it show as being paid for it?

17600 +  FEES

Yes that is what I paid for it.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…

Mercedes Benz
Replies: 12
Views: 547
05-29-2020, 12:12 PM

Replies: 9
Views: 493
05-27-2020, 12:47 AM

Replies: 3