Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ML350 W166 Cooling Fan Issue

Hi,
I bought a ML350 W166.024 recently and i have an issue with the cooling fan not kicking in when the coolant temperature reaches above 90 degrees. I works fine when using air con and also through dephi scanner can be operated so its not a fuse or faulty wiring. What can cause this?

I tried installing wis but having issues finding wiring diagrams to see what it feeds into and at the moment stuck as to where to look next.

Thanks.
Thanks given by:
FAN is feeding from 30 and controlled by me(cdi)
There is no fixed threshold for starting and stopping fan.
This function is not linear and depend on several arguments.

In other words do not try to fix what is not broken.
Open the radiators and clean between them. It will be more efficient.
  • SW Seed\key VGS\MED\IC virgin\hard coding Carplay HU5s1 HU5es2 any fw
  • HW Genuine XentryConnect-SDConnect-eCom sale\repair\parts\setu
Thanks given by: KriyenKPp
But I believe the engine may be overheating as when driving for a while the car send to drive sluggish for a while then goes back to normal and I thought it may be the fan? Coolant reaches around 100 degrees Celsius and it still does not turn on. Isn't that temperature a bit hot?
Thanks given by:
(12-27-2019, 01:11 PM)alex2900 Wrote: But I believe the engine may be overheating as when driving for a while the car send to drive sluggish for a while then goes back to normal and I thought it may be the fan? Coolant reaches around 100 degrees Celsius and it still does not turn on. Isn't that temperature a bit hot?

What Anturage says plus: check you alternator charge rate + battery condition
Those fans suck a lot of battery power and engine ECU will not turn it on IF:
desired temperature not reached = check engine temperature sensor (live readings) 
battery / alternator charge problems OR demand for battery power is currently exceeded (by your over-bloated sound system for instance)
STAR live readings in engine ecu = check demand for fan operation from engine and also aircon ecu
Based on your explanation I don't think is the fan or engine ecu.
Good luck!

TM
Thanks given by:
(12-27-2019, 01:11 PM)alex2900 Wrote: But I believe the engine may be overheating as when driving for a while the car send to drive sluggish for a while then goes back to normal and I thought it may be the fan? Coolant reaches around 100 degrees Celsius and it still does not turn on. Isn't that temperature a bit hot?
if i know ,and my w210 cdi have the same problem we think,the fan operate from 108 C with slow and 110 c to full speed ,this is programed from ecu is not a problme all is okey ,this is my opinion,
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…

Subaru subaru.svg
Replies: 6
Views: 456
09-02-2019, 05:38 PM

Replies: 5
Views: 448
07-02-2019, 12:56 PM
Honda
Replies: 0
Views: 312