To obtain your inv. code (registration code) kindly contact [email protected] Please note that, guests have limited sections to view
If you are a registered member in MHH and not able to login or recover your account, Kindly contact [email protected]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Random: How sensitive SRS modules can be
Random tip from something I just discovered today... I was instructing my apprentice to remove the electronic shifter selector from a 2000 W210. I leave him to continue on my own jobs. I hear the impacts of his electric impact gun removing bolts from the shifter. All the sudden I hear "BANG!" I run over and hear an alarm going off an see smoke from the back seat of the car. I yelled at him to freeze and slowly exit the vehicle. It seems the vibration or impacts of the rattle gun close to the SRS module deployed the rear seatbelt retractor explosives. I have never seen, heard, or experienced this in all my history of working around these. Im not saying that was NOT supposed to happen, but lesson learned. I have always been careful around sensitive modules and I hope this also helps others to be careful and think before their actions.
Sometimes an old school ratchet wrench or a spanner are the right tools for the job. Smile
Please don't forget the Rate & Thanks buttons below. Help is free when you push them.   Handshake
Thanks given by: i860 , LORD
A apprentice should not be allowed to work without supervision...
Thanks given by: diagnostix , Rocinante
for research purposes: Was the ignition turned on at that time?
~If I helped, press "thanks" and "reputation". Thanks!~
Thanks given by: KriyenKPp , Rocinante
(08-11-2018, 12:33 PM)alexjx Wrote: for research purposes: Was the ignition turned on at that time?

good question, maybe he was listening to radio with key on at the same time
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2018, 12:33 PM)alexjx Wrote: for research purposes: Was the ignition turned on at that time?

No, key was out.
Thanks given by: alexjx , KriyenKPp
Lesson learn and good thing no one has been hurt.
Thanks given by:
Electrical residual voltage!!
In such cases, the battery should be completely disconnected, and the car with the disconnected battery min. for 0.5 hours forsake, after then calm and work carefully.
Thanks given by: KriyenKPp , diagnostix , Rocinante
That’s why many countries require licenses to work on airbags and it’s a misdemeanor if unlicensed people manipulate airbags and airbag related parts.
For sale: 2 Original Actia I+ME eCOM box. Comes in orig. box, manual, OBD and LAN adapter cable. PM for pricing.
Thanks given by: diagnostix , Rocinante

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Mercedes Benz SRS W213 memory erase demonq 15 1,442 09-28-2018, 03:24 PM
Last Post: dimonmers
  w212 srs not initialized aLadie 3 186 09-25-2018, 01:27 PM
Last Post: rashid
  Xentry38 pin won't see all modules on quick test ctmaz 1 475 09-18-2018, 04:28 PM
Last Post: sparehellas
Mercedes Benz Need SRS pass to special meniu JustasK 10 870 09-13-2018, 12:05 PM
Last Post: htservice
  SOLVED - W212 error code A280 - SRS/ SAM-F errors McTallman 2 813 09-05-2018, 01:38 PM
Last Post: McTallman